Thursday, January 2, 2014

Road trip across Australia

29/11/13
Today I set off for an epic road trip across Australia with my brother. We packed bare essentials for our camping expedition, to keep the trip simple. With my swag, surf board, fishing rod and SLR camera packed in the ute it was bound to be a fun trip. We set off with only two destinations in mind, first stop would be near Canberra for my cousins engagement party, then Manjimup in southern WA to visit my sister.

1/12/13
Now with the engagement party over we had less than a week to make it 4000 kilometres across Australia. So our plan now was to cover as many kilometres as we could. As the sun was getting lower we looked out for camping spots that might be on the river bank. After living in far North Queensland for 2 years my first instincts are to beware of crocs, cassowary's and jellyfish. Having the freedom to camp and even swim near a river still seemed like a novelty. But that is exactly what we did, found a secluded river bank and lay out or swags. This was pure bliss to have the luxury of sleeping under the stars. Such an amazing feeling to wake up, look at the stars and have nature, nurture you back to sleep. Camping in nature around Australia seems to really heal the soul.


3/12/13
Feeling like we had made good ground so far, we decided to take a detour to the Flinders Rangers. I knew it was quite iconic to South Australia, so we set off to cover 500 kilometres, our shortest day yet. 

While there was stunning scenery on the way, the flinders seemed to be in quite a state of drought, and we were actually the only people in the whole place, well apart from one passing car. We arrived at 2pm in the blistering sun. Due to the Barron state of the place there was no running water, however we did have taps, so we were drenching ourselves with water bottles to avoid heat stroke. I thought I would take the opportunity to set up my hammock. After two beers I felt sufficiently drunk with my blood vessels dilated due to the heat, so I curled up in the hammock and used the inspiration to write and dream of future ventures. Today I wrote down my dreams of the future for the first time, it was 
quite exhilarating. 

Despite the heat, I felt the urge, as always to go adventuring. With no map, I relied on the few signs around. This was quite an amazing walk, with the expansive gorges as far as the eye could see, and rolling thunder with a storm brewing. I did get a little wet, but even with my camera in my bag, it was very much welcomed to cool me down.



5/12/13
Now in the middle of nowhere, 500 kilometres from the WA boarder at the end of the Nullabour we managed to stumble across a gem. A sheep property that offered a lovely outback camp ground. Once again, I woke with the sun, a little unsure of the time now that we were in WA. I went on a great adventure up the hills to see some amazing views, plenty of kangaroos up close and personal, and a few wild sheep. Morning really is my favourite, as I have the whole place to myself for at least an hour before everyone else begins to wake.



7/12/13
Now on the WA Coast line I finally get to see the sun set over the ocean. We find ourself in yallingup, as I get all my favourite things in one afternoon, a bush walk, ocean and photography on the cliff face as the sun sets. Now Yallingup might sound like an unusual name, but in south western Australia, it is unusual not to have a town ending in "up". They say that "up" in the indigenous language means meeting place, so there are a lot of meeting places over here. Tomorrow we finally arrive at my sisters place in, wait for it.... Manjimup.



14/12/13
Today I got to experience The Great Australian Bight. Such a visual extraviganzer, with its soaring cliff face and white sandy beaches. It was not possible to drive down to the beach due to the cliff face, but a bit of adventuring on foot got me down the rocky steep walls. Then it was a walk through some Barron bush lands, and finally the sand dunes. A photographers playground, I was in a frenzy. Never had I seen such a sight, with towering white sand dunes, blue ocean waters to the south and a towering cliff face to the north. I wanted to stay here a whole day, but the sun was nearly setting, and I had my sights set on  the wispy waves and sunset. So some quick photos on the dunes, and then a rush to the beach. I got there just in time, found the perfect spot and in my excitement  I left my bag with my lenses and shoes a little to close as the tide was coming in. After my blissful haze of photography and spiritual connection to the amazing earth we live on, I turned around to find my bag and shoes drenched. I was so high on all the excitement and natural beauty that I just smiled and carried on. This was by far, the most incredible adventure and even moment I have had yet in my short 24 years of living on this beautiful planet. 


16/12/13
After travelling over 3000 kilometers through out South Australia, covering the Flinders ranges, Eyre Peninsula, the Nallabour and Adelaide, I have come to see that it has three things going for it... Amazing salt lake, rugged ocean shore lines and 10 cents for recycling each of your bottles. Yeah, the whole of South Australia is very desolate and their beaches, while stunning to look at, are not good for swimming with no waves, shallow sand bars and a whole lot of seaweed. 



22/12/13
12000 kilometres, 5 capital cities, 5 states, a kilo of almonds and a whole lot of coffee, 23 days later, I arrive home safe and sound with my brother. Had 24 hours home to pack for 4 seasons, hiking, snow boarding in 4 completely different countries. Said hi to all my animals, booked the inca trail and accommodation for the first month in Canada and a whole stack of other things and it is now time to leave for Dorrigo to have Christmas with my family. Just another day in my year of freedom...


No comments:

Post a Comment